Tuesday, April 17, 2012

How To Make A Person Feel Old

As a teacher, I walk by teacher classrooms from time to time and the history teacher had his door open.
They were talking history from the 1960's and 70's and hippies and the Beetles, the days of my youth and middle high and high school days.  The kids were sitting in awe of what the teacher was telling them.  The teacher was telling the kids of life without cell phones,computers, cable TV, video games, and flat screen TVs.  You had to tell them about dial phones, televisions with tubes in them, telephone lines and playing outside with friends.
Made me feel quite old.
At least they weren't talking about early American History.  But to kids in high school today, the 1960-70's were Early American history. 
Tax day and now this.  I feel like crap.

1 comment:

  1. I graduated in 1984, right before CDs, long before DVDs, and at least 10 years before even moderate adoption of the internet. I saw the death (and birth, sometimes) of LPs, 8-Track tapes, cassette tapes, Atari 2600, TRS-80, Vic-20, Commodore 64k, LaserDisc, BetaMax, VHS, Amiga, Apple II, Prodigy, CompuServe, New Coke, Crystal Pepsi and Beanie Babies.

    And I often wonder if kids today see me like my grandfather, who was born in 1900. He saw the birth of aviation, two world wars, radio, television, movies, records, telephones, automobiles. . . I think Grandpa still saw the most dramatic changes.

    ReplyDelete