Thursday, January 22, 2015

Jeff Gordon To Retire

My son, who is one of the biggest Jeff Gordon fans, was extremely upset when he found out that Gordon is going to retire after this season.
From ESPN: Four-time NASCAR Sprint Cup champion Jeff Gordon announced Thursday that the 2015 season will be his last as a full-time driver.
"As a race car driver, much of what I've done throughout my life has been based on following my instincts and trying to make good decisions," Gordon said in a release. "I thought long and hard about my future this past year and during the offseason, and I've decided 2015 will be the last time I compete for a championship.
"I won't use the 'R-word,' because I plan to stay extremely busy in the years ahead, and there's always the possibility I'll compete in selected events, although I currently have no plans to do that."
Gordon told The Associated Press that he decided midway through 2014 that this upcoming season would be his last. He delayed the announcement until Thursday, when he first told his two young children at home in Charlotte, North Carolina.
Gordon says that's when his decision became a reality, and he broke down in tears. He said he continued sobbing the entire 30-minute drive to Hendrick Motorsports, and again lost his composure as he informed his team and longtime employees.
Gordon has 92 career Sprint Cup wins -- third all-time behind Hall of Fame drivers Richard Petty (200) and David Pearson (105). -- and championships in 1995, 1997, 1998 and 2001. He has spent his entire 23-year career in the No. 24 car with Hendrick Motorsports.  http://espn.go.com/racing/nascar/cup/story/_/id/12210437/jeff-gordon-announces-2015-nascar-sprint-cup-season-last
Gordon is a NASCAR icon, who is loved by some, hated by others but it can not be argued that he was one of the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment