Sunday, July 27, 2014

Fast Food Thugs Threaten Food Fight

From the Houston Chronicle: Comparing their campaign to the civil rights movement, fast food workers from across the country voted Saturday to escalate their efforts for $15-an-hour pay and union membership by using nonviolent civil disobedience.
More than 1,300 workers gathered in a convention in center in suburban Chicago to discuss the future of a campaign that has spread to dozens of cities in less than two years. Wearing T-shirts that said "Fight for $15" and "We Are Worth More," the workers cheered loudly and said they would win if they stuck together.
"People are just fed up," said Cindy Enriquez, 20, of Phoenix.
The $8.25 an hour she makes working for McDonald's is not enough to go to college and become a police officer and barely enough to pay her rent, Enriquez said.
While the vote didn't list any specific acts of civil disobedience, Enriquez said some workers suggested sit-ins and perhaps blocking businesses. She said they need to keep pressure on owners even if it means sitting in front of restaurants "to make sure they do not sell anything."
"We're going to keep on going," Enriquez said.  http://www.chron.com/news/us/article/Fast-food-workers-plan-next-steps-in-wage-campaign-5648446.php
Here's a message to the fast food thugs:
Get some education so you are not stuck at a dead end job for the rest of your life.
I've never wrote this and told few people, but here is my story.
I used to live in Havre Montana, when I got laid off of my job.  I got evicted from my apartment and had to move back to Wisconsin, basically penniless.
I had to live with my mom.  After 2 days, I got a job working at a nursing home at $4 an hour and I moved into a rooming house.
After a few months, I got a job at a nursing home that paid about $7 and moved in an apartment.
After a year or so, I got  job working for the state of Wisconsin at an institution for the mentally retarded and moved into a nice apartment.
I then started college at the technical college at the same time I joined a volunteer fire department and ambulance and worked part time at a nursing home.
I then transferred to U.W. Madison, still working 2 jobs plus the fire department and paid my way through college and got my 4 year degree.
I went from being totally broke and in about 10 years, a college graduate and a special education teacher and have taught the most severely disabled individuals for almost 20 years.
So, to those who complain about their lot in life, I have no sympathy for you.  I know what it is like to be poor and I went out and did something about it.
They can to.

No comments:

Post a Comment