Sunday, January 30, 2011

Look Out 8 Year Olds, Some Nanny's Want To Put You In A Car Seat


Glenn Cook has a facinating cloumn about a bunch of nanny staters who want just about every child, until they turn 18 in a car seat.
From the article: The parking lot of my son's preschool, however, was anything but normal. More than a dozen people in orange and yellow vests had the entrance staked out and sealed off.
A stern-looking woman quickly stepped in front of my car as I tried to park, her palm raised at windshield level. I hit the brakes. Buford T. Justice didn't wear sunglasses that big.
Another woman approached, and a tap at the window followed. I was trapped.
"Sir, does your child attend this preschool?"
No, I'm cruising for hot, hurried mommies trying to get to work. Of course he goes to this preschool.
"We're conducting car seat inspections."
And you are?
"How old is your child?" she demanded. Still no identification.
Mrs. Barney Fife finally acknowledged she was with Safe Kids Clark County, the local affiliate of a nonprofit dedicated to preventing injuries to children. She looked through the window at my son, saw that he was sufficiently restrained (and concerned) and handed me a coupon for a free cup of yogurt.
That's pretty scary scenario and I would have handled the situation a lot worse than Mr. Cook. I probably would have started with who the hell are you and get the hell out of my way.
But the most scary part of the article: Preston said Safe Kids Clark County intends to lobby the Legislature to mandate safety seats until age 8 and 80 pounds. Preston added that, ideally, children should stay in booster seats until they are 4-foot-9 -- when they're generally 10 or 11 years old -- and should ride in the back seat until they're 13.
First, a ten year old in a car seat would invite the kid to ridicule from his friends and anybody else that would see him or her.
And what about little people, do they need to stay in a car seat until they are 18, when they turn adults?
These nanny's of Nevada are out of control. I am pretty sure that the legislators of Nevada along with the governor have better things to do than deal with a bunch nannies who think they know better than us. (of course you there will be at least 1 Democrat who will like this proposal)

No comments:

Post a Comment