Wednesday, August 13, 2014

If You Don't Want To See Negative Comments....

Don't go on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and the other social media sites.
From the Las Vegas Sun: Robin Williams' daughter has abandoned her online social media accounts in disgust following what she called "cruel and unnecessary" messages following her father's death, a move that has prompted Twitter to explore how it handles such situations.
The move came after at least two users upset the grieving actress by sending disturbing images and verbal attacks. In one of her last tweets on Tuesday night, Williams asked fellow users to report her alleged tormentors to Twitter managers. "I'm shaking," she wrote. One of the images was a Photoshopped image of Robin Williams purporting to be his corpse.
Well-wishers and fans online quickly rallied to Zelda Williams' defense, and the accounts of both alleged bullies were suspended by Wednesday. Facebook, which also owns Instagram, said the photo violated its policy and was "being actively flagged and removed across both platforms as it pops up."  http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2014/aug/13/daughter-robin-williams-faced-online-abuse-after-f/
I'm sure some of the stuff posted to her were horrible and disgusting, however, you run that risk when you go on social media.
I don't do social media because of the comments posted on these sites and because I value my privacy.  Does anyone really care what I am doing or thinking at a particular moment?  I doubt it.
I'm sure the people who have big egos think social media is kind of cool, but I don't.
I report the news and hopefully it is entertaining for those who read these blog posts, but I don't report on my feelings or emotions as they happen.
Too bad those bad things were written to Zelda, but those are the risks you take when you go on social media.

No comments:

Post a Comment