Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Another Liberal Failure

This is another in a long list of liberal policies that failed, especially under Obama(s)
From EAG News:  Another two bite the dust.
Central New York’s Fayetteville-Manlius and Baldwinsville school districts are the latest to ditch the National School Lunch Program, which was revamped in 2010 under the guidance of First Lady Michelle Obama in an effort to fight childhood obesity.

Strict limits on calories, fat, sugar, carbohydrates, sodium and other aspects of the school lunch imposed by the federal government on schools participating in the free and reduced lunch program has not only increased cafeteria costs, they’ve resulted in a drastic drop in the number of participating students.
At Fayetteville-Manlius, Baldwinsville, and thousands of other districts the new regulations resulted in a sharp downturn in students who eat school lunch and a sharp increase in food waste. The lost sales are threatening the viability of cafeteria programs in schools across the country, prompting many to do without federal subsidies to serve students food they’ll actually buy and eat.
“Grilled cheese and tomato soup was a very popular lunch,” Baldwinsville Superintendent David Hamilton told WRVO public media. “We couldn’t offer that under the new guidelines of the federal government. Spaghetti and meatballs, we couldn’t offer that either.”
As a result of last year’s school lunch menu high school lunch sales in Baldwinsville plummeted from about 600 to 430 students per day.
“We all want a lower carb diet. But it’s hard to sell a sub on something that looks more like a piece of paper than a sub roll,” Hamilton said. “I understand the shift but now the students aren’t opting to eat any of that. They’re stepping away entirely.”
Fayetteville-Manlius schools are experiencing the same phenomenon, and took a survey of students before deciding to trash the federal lunch regulations. The survey’s common theme: portion sizes are too small and the food just doesn’t taste that great, WRVO reports.
That district’s new cafeteria plan “will look more like a food court, with more grab and go items along with a deli bar and a hot meal item,” according to the news site.
The School Nutrition Association conducted a survey at the group’s annual conference recently that showed roughly 25 percent of school lunch programs have lost money for more than six months because of the federally inspired bland school food options, the Detroit News reports.
“The association says that according to statistics from the U.S. Department of Agriculture, student lunch participation is down in 49 states under the new standards, with more than 1 million fewer students choosing school lunch each day,” according to the News.
A recent Government Accountability Institute report estimates the total amount of wasted school lunches has also reached about $1 billion per year, according to Fox.
In Michigan’s Oakland County, for example, 4,700 fewer students are eating school lunches than when the federal regulations went into effect in 2012.
So, there are now 1,000,000 fewer kids eating school lunch, which means, at least by liberal logic, there are 1,000,000 more kids going hungry. 
And that doesn't include those who throw away the crap they are serving, so those kids are being under fed.
There was nothing wrong with the old method of feeding kids, but you had a bunch of nanny liberals who think they know better than everyone else, and imposed their values on all the school children.
Just another liberal idea shot to hell.

No comments:

Post a Comment